London, John Murray, 1838 (first edition).
Octavo, xx, 543,  (colophon) pages with 294 illustrations plus a hand-coloured frontispiece.
Early half calf and cloth; leather rubbed (with some surface loss, mainly to the spine), with light wear to the extremities; cloth a little flecked; occasional light scattered foxing; minimal signs of use and age; a very good copy (internally excellent).
Provenance: 'The Hindmarsh Library & Reading Rooms' inkstamp on the title page, and the later Hindmarsh Institute (Incorporated) library by-laws plate on the front pastedown (mounted over an earlier plate); the initials 'H.I.' are stamped in gilt at the foot of the spine. The District Council of Hindmarsh was proclaimed 'on 2 June 1853 as the third local government area established outside the City of Adelaide, and named after South Australia's founding Governor, Captain John Hindmarsh. The District included the villages of Hindmarsh, Bowden and Brompton, and those further along the Port Road towards Queenstown, and the outlying country between the Port Road and River Torrens to the coast, an area of 34 square kilometres, with a population of about 3,500. The first Council meeting was held on 11 June 1853, and Robert Richard Torrens (an author of the Real Property Act) was first District Chairman. Following complaints from residents, on 1 October, 1874 the town area of Hindmarsh was split from the DC and became the separate Corporation of the Town of Hindmarsh. On 30 December, 1875 the remainder of DC of Hindmarsh changed its name to DC of Woodville' (Susan Marsden: 'History of South Australian Councils to 1936', online). The binding appears to us to be colonial (the materials used, the gilt lettering on the spine, the endpapers), and we suggest the book entered the Hindmarsh Library & Reading Rooms earlier rather than later in its existence (1853-1875). Before we get too carried away by these worthy parochial aspects, we should mention the importance of the work. This is a copy of the first edition of the companion volume to Lyell's influential pioneering work, 'Principles of Geology' (three volumes, 1830-1833). 'Originally intended as a supplement to the "Principles", this formed an independent practical guide to the science of geology' (Colin Summerhayes: 'Earth's Climate Evolution').