A gelatin silver print (216 × 166 mm), lightly creased at the corner-tips; in excellent condition.
The aircraft appear to be a Sopwith Camel and two Avro 504s (specific models not determined). Offered with two other photographs of a biplane (possibly a Sopwith Camel) in the air: one is silhouetted above billowing sunlit clouds (147 × 199 mm, printed without margins); the other is shown flying between clouds above hedgerows and fields (216 × 166 mm). We purchased these photographs with a small group of aerial photographs of Leighterton Aerodrome. 'By 1917 the Australian Flying Corps (AFC) consisted of four operational squadrons which outstripped the ability of the Army's Central Flying School at Point Cook to supply sufficient trained airmen. It was decided, therefore, to establish training squadrons within the AFC. Four such squadrons were subsequently established in the United Kingdom during 1917. 8 Squadron, AFC was formed at Wendover on 24 October 1917. It was originally identified as 33 (Australian Training) Squadron, Royal Flying Corps, but was renamed, along with all of the Australian squadrons, in January 1918. The squadron relocated to Cirencester on 9 January 1918, and thence to Leighterton, where it remained until disbanded in April 1919. The squadron's principal role was to prepare personnel for service with what was at first 71 (Australian) Squadron, RFC, and subsequently 4 Squadron, AFC, which was operating with British forces over the Western Front' (Australian War Memorial website). [3 items].