An unmounted sepia-toned gelatin silver print (149 × 199 mm); in fine condition.,
We suggest the eighteen members of the squad come from the Aeroplane Repair Section of the Australian Flying Corps based at Leighterton. We purchased this photograph with a small group of aerial photographs of Leighterton Aerodrome, about which the Australian War Memorial has this to say: 'By 1917 the Australian Flying Corps (AFC) consisted of four operational squadrons which outstripped the ability of the Army's Central Flying School at Point Cook to supply sufficient trained airmen. It was decided, therefore, to establish training squadrons within the AFC. Four such squadrons were subsequently established in the United Kingdom during 1917. 8 Squadron, AFC was formed at Wendover on 24 October 1917. It was originally identified as 33 (Australian Training) Squadron, Royal Flying Corps, but was renamed, along with all of the Australian squadrons, in January 1918. The squadron relocated to Cirencester on 9 January 1918, and thence to Leighterton, where it remained until disbanded in April 1919. The squadron's principal role was to prepare personnel for service with what was at first 71 (Australian) Squadron, RFC, and subsequently 4 Squadron, AFC, which was operating with British forces over the Western Front' (AWM website).