Adelaide, W.C. Cox, Government Printer, 1863.
Octavo, 54 pages plus a large folding map and an errata slip (tipped onto the contents page); the map (890 x 650 mm) is of the Northern Territory itself and shows the 'exploration tracks' of Stuart, Sturt, A.C. Gregory, McKinlay and Leichardt [sic].
Contemporary full morocco with decorative gilt borders front and rear, and the title in gilt on the front cover (a most attractive colonial binding); extremities slightly rubbed; leather slightly dusty; the map has tiny holes nibbled by silverfish along the fold of two (blank) panels, and short splits to four fold junctions (insignificant blemishes); a fine copy.
'On 16 July, 1863, the Crown annexed to South Australia "until We think fit to make other disposition thereof the Territory now known as the Northern Territory"'. Responsibility was transferred to the Commonwealth on 1 January 1911. The book reprints the Letters Patent and the relevant Acts and Regulations (20 pages), together with lengthy extracts from Earl's 'Handbook for Colonists in Tropical Australia', printed earlier the same year at the 'Pinang [sic] Gazette' Press in the Straits Settlement (22 pages). The last section, 'Interior of the Country' (12 pages) is largely extracted from the journal of Stuart and the report of Waterhouse, naturalist to his expedition. Ferguson 13458 (the wrappers here are not stiffened, and the title page is also printed within a border). This copy contains the armorial bookplate of The Honorable Henry Ayers CMG, at the time South Australian Chief Secretary, under whose command the 'Northern Territory Land Regulations' and 'Appointment of Officers' printed in the book were proclaimed. Ayers has underlined in ink six lines in the Northern Territory Act relating to land orders.