Adelaide, printed at the 'Times' and 'Dispatch' Office (first volume) and 'The Advertiser' and 'Chronicle' Offices (second and third volumes), [1858 and 1859].
Quarto, three volumes, [viii, 398]; [ii], iv (last blank), iii-viii (last blank),  pages; and viii, 310 pages.
First volume: contemporary half morocco and marbled papered boards; leather a little rubbed at the extremities and worn at the corners, with the marbled paper rubbed and worn with a little loss; endpapers and first and last few leaves foxed; a very good copy. Second volume: early cloth rubbed, worn at the extremities, stained and a little sunned; front free endpaper removed; one leaf slightly chipped and creased; small light marginal stains to a few leaves; a very good copy. Third volume: early cloth slightly rubbed and bumped at the extremities, with slight loss to the head of the spine; two pinholes in the front cover and the first 10 leaves and 70 leaves respectively; a very good copy.
The first volume has all references to, and contributions by, John Bristow Hughes marked in the margins with pencil; his signature in ink is partially erased from the head of the title page. John Bristow Hughes (1817-1881), landowner, 'was a member for Port Adelaide in the first House of Assembly in 1857 and a warm supporter of (Sir) Robert Torrens, serving in his ministry as treasurer from 1-30 September. He resigned from parliament on 24 September 1858' ('Australian Dictionary of Biography'). The front free endpaper of the third volume carries the contemporary ink signature of Francis Dutton (1818-1877), at various times MLC, MHA, Commissioner of Crown Lands and Immigration, and twice Premier of South Australia (4 July to 15 July 1863, and 22 March to 20 September 1865). [3 items].