Adelaide, Ellis Limited, .
240 × 153 mm,  pages with illustrations and 8 tipped-in colour plates.
Overlapping colour-pictorial gate-fold card covers, with panoramas of 'Early Adelaide' and 'Modern Adelaide' front and rear (and with line illustrations of the site of the cafe then-and-now inside the respective covers); covers lightly rubbed and bumped at the extremities, with surface loss to a tiny area of the front cover; bottom half of the front gate-fold hinge split but now expertly closed; an excellent copy of a lavish brochure.
'The Ellis Cafe organisation was formed about 1917 as bakers, pastry cooks, caterers, fruiterers and confectioners. The office and factory was at 120 Gouger Street, Adelaide, with a restaurant Covent Gardens at 50 (later 68) King William Street, the Arcadia Cafe in Bowman's Buildings, King William Street, the Maple Leaf Cafe at 21 Rundle Street and two others in the central business district.... The Ellis Cafes ceased trading in 1952' (State Library of South Australia, B 72464/5). This attractive souvenir was prepared to celebrate the reopening of the cafe in late 1924 after extensive renovations. An article in the Adelaide 'News' of Saturday 20 December 1924 notes that the 'booklet is a triumph for its compilers and its illustrator, Mr E. Grant Walsh, who also designed the general scheme of furnishings and decorations'.