Nürnberg [Nuremberg], Joh. Phil. Raw'schen Buchhandlung, 1839.
Octavo, vi, 110 pages.
Contemporary patterned papered boards, unlettered, with a small plain green paper label on the spine; covers a little marked, with scattered light surface wear (a little heavier at the top corners and in a few spots on the spine); light tidemark to the bottom inside corner throughout, extending only slightly into the printed areas; overall a very good copy with inoffensive pencilling throughout (short marginal emphases, mainly in red pencil, on 75 pages, and occasional underlining on a dozen pages).
Provenance: 'C. Strehlow, Miss[ionar]' is written in ink at the head of the front flyleaf, below a partially erased earlier ownership signature; we cannot determine who is responsible for the pencilling throughout the book. Carl Friedrich Theodor Strehlow (1871-1922) was born in Fredersdorf, Germany; in '1888 he entered the seminary at Neuendettelsau and graduated in 1891. At the request of the Immanuel Synod in South Australia, he went there to serve the German migrants of his faith. He was ordained in 1892 and worked for the missionary J.G. Reuther of the Bethesda Mission at Killalpaninna among the Dieri Aborigines near Cooper's Creek, South Australia; he helped Reuther to translate the New Testament into the Dieri language' ('Australian Dictionary of Biography'). From 1894 until his death at Horseshoe Bend (travelling to Adelaide to seek urgent medical treatment), he was in charge of the Lutheran mission at Hermannsburg among the Western Aranda and Loritja. 'Strehlow strained his health by a relentless schedule which included pastoral, teaching, accounting and administrative duties, tending the sick and management of the mission farm. He devoted his leisure to linguistic and ethnological field-work and to preparing the results for publication in Germany.... His greatest achievement was his work on the myths, legends, material culture and customs of the Aranda and Loritja, in seven volumes', published between 1907 and 1920.