A transverse section of steel rail stamped 'B.H.P. Co. | Newcastle. | N.S.W. | 73. lb. Rail. | 18.9.16. | Rolled. for. | War. Service. in. France.'. The Broken Hill Proprietary Company's steel works at Newcastle opened in 1915 and was soon producing steel for use in the First World War, both in Australia and on the Western Front. The Newcastle plant was the brainchild of G.D. Delprat, General Manager of BHP from 1898 to 1921; it was the foundation of the company's subsequent success and expansion. This commemorative item comes from his personal collection
Polished steel (height 124 mm; width 122 mm; depth 14 mm) with a few surface scratches; overall in excellent condition.