The photograph (237 × 307 mm) is in fine condition, unmounted as issued.
The ink-stamp of the photographer ('J. Gazard, 111 King Wm. St., Adelaide') is on the verso, together with a pencilled caption reading: 'June 21 1905. Unveiling of the Monument to Colonel Light, the founder of Adelaide, in Light Square Adelaide, where his remains are buried'. Light Square became the burial place of Colonel William Light in 1839; the original monument erected over his grave in 1843 became damaged and was replaced. 'The new monument, which still stands today, consisted of a theodolite placed on a tall column. It was unveiled on the 21 June 1905 to a large crowd that included "old colonists", who had witnessed Light's funeral 66 years previously, seated on either side of the monument. Sir Samuel Way addressed the crowd, reinforcing Light's legend by recalling the achievements and adventures of the founder of Adelaide. The Mayor of Adelaide, Mr Theodore Bruce, then proceeded with the unveiling of the monument' ('Adelaidia' website). This impressive image captures it all.