The Indicator Map of Sydney. Over 1300 Streets, Parks, Buildings, etc, shewn and indexed ...
Sydney, Gordon & Gotch (Australasia) Ltd., [1920s].
316 × 252 mm (unfolded external dimensions, folding down to 252 × 107 mm), a piece of cloth-backed card with a metal indicator (9 × 112 mm) attached to an eyelet in the middle; the indicator has a series of guide letters printed on it.
Printed on the recto is a 235 mm diameter colour map of Sydney, with guide numbers printed around the circumference; the indicator arm is attached to its centre; the cloth-covered verso is an index to streets, with the relevant guide number and letter; there is minimal loss to the blank margin at the end of one fold; a few trifling marks; overall an excellent example of what looks to have been a bit of a commercial dud.
Blacked out underneath the Gordon & Gotch imprint at the head of the map are the details of The Indicator Map Company. At the foot of the map, the following is also blacked out: 'Sold on Behalf of the Women's Hospital, Crown Street, Sydney'. Other pertinent details printed on it are that it was drawn by K. Craigie, and it was 'Copyright and fully protected by Patent Number 6930/18'. The only institutional holdings are two copies in the State Library of New South Wales (with suggested dates of 1924 and 1927), and one in the Monash University Library (with the following interesting note: 'around 1925 (the like rendition of Melbourne map was donated to Mitchell Library in 1925, priced 2 shillings). Before 1928 when St. James rail station opened; interestingly, the proposed underground loop through the Circular Quay, completed in 1950s, is marked in dotted lines').