A cloth-bound commercial photograph album (approximately 190 × 250 mm), containing 200 photographs loosely inserted four to a page behind window-mounts on both sides of the 25 album leaves (prints 59 × 80 mm, visible image size 51 × 76 mm).
The covers are lightly worn and a little marked; the contents are in excellent condition.
The details of the contents are written on the front pastedown in ink in a neat calligraphic hand, decoratively laid out in shields linked with garlands. The Secretary and Assistant Secretary are identified respectively as Mr W.A. Hutchinson from WA, and Mr C.W. Smith from SA. The first photograph is about half the size of all the others; it is a group portrait of (presumably) the YMCA staff at the camp. Two others on the first page show the YMCA hall. All of the other 197 photographs are true to the title of the album, which constitutes a pictorial catalogue of the multitude of cultural and sporting events, activities and amusements offered at the camp by the YMCA. The camp was established to give men of the Desert Mounted Corps a seaside haven for rest and recuperation; it opened to its first intake of 700 men on 1 August 1917. It is highly unlikely that many copies of this album were produced; indeed, we can find no record of another one. We have located a photograph of one of the signs (the fifteenth one in the album) in the collection of the Australian War Memorial (AWM P03569.004).