Welcome to the first sale on our new auction site. We envisage it will be the first of many. Indeed, work is well under way on three separate specialist auctions – Military History, Gastronomy, and History of Medicine – scheduled for the first few months of the new year. All three are based around single-vendor collections.
The present auction is a mixed-vendor sale, and with many of the 455 lots we have instructions to put very few impediments between you and temptation!
These few highlights should aid the process ...
- A small archive of seventeen vintage photographs and accompanying correspondence by the contemporary Austrian photographer Renate Graf.
- Dr Saleh Soubhy’s Pèlerinage à la Mecque et à Médine (Cairo, 1894) is an excellent copy in the original wrappers. This is a very rare account of pilgrimages to Mecca and Medina in 1888 and 1891.
- Fred Lynde’s Descriptive Illustrated Catalogue of the Sixty-Eight Competitive Designs for the Great Tower for London (London, 1890). All that remains of these competitors to the Eiffel Tower is this rare and delightful picture book.
- Interesting antiquarian items include Cavendish's New Method to dress Horses (1667), and Charts and Plates to La Pérouse's Voyage (London, 1798).
- P.G. Wodehouse's Mike. A Public School Story; although the fourth impression of 1919, is complete with the utterly rare dustwrapper.
- Aleister Crowley’s The Diary of a Drug Fiend (1922) is the first edition of his first published novel.
- Lynd Ward’s early graphic novel Vertigo. A Novel in Woodcuts (New York, 1937).
- A Japanese shunga handscroll with 16 hand-painted erotic scenes.
Broad subjects include Australiana, exploration and travel, literature, antiquarian books, natural history, and erotica.
The online auction commences at 1pm (ACDT) 4 November 2018
On view at our premises
196 North Terrace, Adelaide
Monday 29 October to Saturday 3 November
10 am to 5:30 pm daily
- Bid live online at auctions.treloars.com
- Bid live on our free iOS and Android Apps
- Leave absentee bids (an absentee bid form can be downloaded here)
- Bid live by telephone (lots with a lower estimate of at least $900)
If you need any assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 8 8223 1111