A photograph album (230 x 300 mm) stamped in gilt on the front cover 'Wiawera, 1918', containing 95 snapshots and 4 watercolours (all contemporary) pertaining to the pastoral property of H.C. Trew, located near Olary, South Australia (on the road to Broken Hill, and about as far west of the border as Broken Hill is east)
The original gelatin silver photographs are generally 65 or 80 mm x 130 mm (a few are smaller); some have been trimmed to an oval shape. The images comprise views of the homestead, its occupants, gardens and outbuildings, including the shearing shed (41); sheep and cattle (27); paddocks, dams and windmills (15); men on horseback (6); and farm vehicles (5). People feature in more than 50 photographs (in 11 of them, it is a small boy, often doing what small boys on farms do). There is also a postcard-format photograph of 'Night Watch', the winner of the 1918 Melbourne Cup, with a message on the verso signed by the owner of the horse, C. Lisle Macdonald. The watercolours are by a capable amateur; the monogram CA appears in the bottom right-hand corner of all of them. They are a panoramic view of part of the property, with a gallows for slaughtering cattle the focus (130 x 245 mm); the shearing shed and yards (120 x 245 mm); grassland with hills in the background (125 x 175 mm); and grazing sheep (75 x 155 mm). The photographs and watercolours give a very good idea of life on a working outback pastoral property at the time. Mounted on the inside rear cover are 16 small newspaper cuttings concerning consignments to the saleyards or abattoirs of sheep and cattle from 'Wiawera', consistently described as 'outstanding' or the 'best'. The commercial album is cloth-bound, with a blind-pictorial emblem on the front cover; the spine has been replaced; the cloth boards are worn around the extremities and a little tape-stained near the spine; the first page is a little marked; overall it is in very good condition, with the contents uniformly fine. [An aside: 'Wiawera' has been in the hands of an unrelated branch of the Treloar family since at least the 1950s].