Adelaide, J. Williams, Printer [for the Author], 1880 [second edition]/ 1879.
Octavo, [viii], 84; 80; and 23 pages plus 3 albumen paper photographs of 5 drawings on 3 unnumbered leaves.
Gilt- and blind-stamped blue cloth a little bumped and rubbed at the extremities, with minor wear to the corners; spine sunned, with a slightly lighter spot near the centre where a paper label (an old auction lot number) has been removed; front cover... Read complete entry
The particulars of the photographs match those given in Holden (where the discrepancy in the number of plates present as against listed is explained). The plates are of drawings by Hamilton; he contributed similar sketches to the published journals of Grey and Eyre. The first edition was not photographically illustrated. This copy is inscribed in ink on the front flyleaf 'From G. Hamilton to Capt Dashwood with the Author's best wishes, 22 Dec 1880'. George Frederick Dashwood (1806-1881) arrived in South Australia in the early 1840s; in 1843, he 'was appointed one of the four non-official nominees in South Australia's first Legislative Council.... From 1847 to 1852 he was commissioner of police' (Australian Dictionary of Biography). George Hamilton (1812-1883) succeeded him in that role in 1867, retiring the year before his death. He arrived in Adelaide in 1839 when he overlanded cattle along Charles Bonney's southern route. A most satisfying association copy, presented from one significant pioneer to another in the twilight of their lives. Ferguson 10184 (inadequately describing the plates); Holden 49.
Octavo, 61 pages plus a frontispiece portrait and 9 plates.
Decorated flush-cut red papered boards; spine lightly sunned, with trifling loss to the head and foot; an excellent copy.
The author's aim in writing this book for prospective immigrants was to 'give them the benefit of my own experience of a country in which the greater part of my life has been spent'. He arrived in Adelaide in 1851, aged 30, and spent his entire life at Glenelg. Loosely inserted is a small piece of paper signed with the author's compliments. Ferguson 10449 (but less detailed than our record).
Octavo, two volumes, xxviii, 675 and xii, 803 pages with numerous illustrations and maps plus 16 plates and a folding colour map.
Cloth a little sunned, marked, bumped and slightly worn; small inkspot to the bottom edge of one volume; mild signs of use; overall a very good set, uncut and partially unopened (indeed, the second volume has not been cut open at all).
The first volume contains the early ownership signature (Windsor, 17 May 1904) of Charles Howard Angas (1861-1928), a grandson of George Fife Angas; his occasional emphases and marginalia are to be found mainly in the sections dealing with South America and Africa. This volume includes about 200 pages on Australia. The account of one day of the Princes's visit to Melbourne (1 July 1881) relates their inspection of Ned Kelly's armour, and the thirteen lines of text about the gang (ending with 'They were put down by the police last year') are accompanied by wood engravings of the armour, with and without Ned Kelly. Prince Albert Victor (1864-1892) was second in the line of succession to the British throne, but never became king: he died before his father (later King Edward VII) and his grandmother, Queen Victoria. He was engaged to be married to Princess Mary of Teck in late 1891; a few weeks later, he died during an influenza pandemic. Mary later married his younger brother Prince George, who became King George V in 1910 (Wikipedia). [2 items].
Disbound neatly, but with traces of old leather on the spine; short tear to the first two, and the last, leaves expertly sealed; paper a little offset and discoloured, with trifling signs of handling; an excellent copy.
Hill 852: 'This rare pamphlet may be cited as the inception of the Christian missionary movement in Hawaii. [Bingham and Thurston] ... were the first two foreign missionaries to land on Hawaii. Their influence, coming immediately upon the death of Kamehameha in 1819, was to be greater than that of the whalers, traders, and planters who also changed Hawaiian culture.... This most important sermon was an enthusiastic charge to the missionaries and set the tone of missionary policy towards Hawaii for years to come'. The sermon (pages -32) is followed by 'The Charge, by the Rev. David L. Perry' (pages -37), 'Right Hand of Fellowship, by the Rev. Noah Porter' (pages -40), and 16 pages of 'Instructions from the Prudential Committee of the American Board of Foreign Missions' (dated 15 October 1819). The final page lists the members of the pioneering party, which includes the 'Native Teachers John Honooree, Native of Owhyhee. Thomas Hopoo [ditto]. William Tennooe, Native of Atooi', as well as George Tamoree, 'son of Tamoree, king of Atooi and Oneeheow, two of the Sandwich Islands, - who has been educated with the other Native Youths, at the Foreign Mission School, Cornwall', Connecticut.
The original printed label from the Fine Art Society, New Bond Street, London, is on the verso of the mount, stating, quite inaccurately, that 'This photograph is enlarged from a negative taken during Dr Mawson's Australasian Antarctic Expedition ...'. The title and catalogue number (with the catalogue reference number 133 crossed out and replaced by 124) are manuscript insertions in ink, and match the details in the catalogue prepared for the 1915 Australian exhibition of Hurley's works, which 'emanates from the Fine Art Society ... London'. The full title of the catalogue is 'Exhibition of Unique Photographic Pictures taken during the Australasian Antarctic Expedition. Also other Photographic Studies by Frank Hurley' (small octavo, 16 pages plus 8 full-page plates and the title-wrappers; printed in Adelaide by G. Hassell & Son). A small advertisement appeared in the Adelaide 'Advertiser' on Saturday 25 September 1915, announcing a 'South Polar Exhibit.... until October 6. This Exhibition is your only opportunity of viewing Historical Relics of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition, and Frank Hurley's Unexcelled Photographic Reproductions'. The photograph in fact comes from the whirlwind 6,000-mile trip he made with fellow-adventurer Francis Birtles through northern Australia from mid-April to the end of July 1914. Provenance: from the personal collection of Sir Douglas Mawson, and by descent (with the estate stamp on the verso, signed and dated 1992, attesting to this fact). In all probability, this particular image itself emanates from the stock of that Australian exhibition.
Vinegia [Venice], 'Stampata ... per Nicolo d'Aristotile detto Zoppino', 1535.
Small octavo (approximately 145 x 90 mm),  pages, with an elaborate woodcut border to the title page.
Later (but not modern) vellum decorated in gilt on the spine, with a gilt-bordered leather title-label on the front cover; vellum a little marked and discoloured; title leaf lightly chipped and marked, with two tiny holes, and with an old paper repair... Read complete entry
First introduced to Europe in the fourteenth century by the Dominican friar and missionary Alfonso Buenhombre, who claimed to have translated it from an earlier Arabic original, this short treatise is now widely accepted to be his work. Part polemic, part apologetics, Rabbi Samuel's epistle expounds the sins of the Jewish race and argues the truth of the Christian religion, taking its sources chiefly from the Old Testament. Its survival in over three hundred manuscripts and at least thirteen incunable editions, in Latin and various vernaculars, attests to its popularity (Ora Limor: 'The Epistle of Rabbi Samuel of Morocco: A Best-Seller in the World of Polemics', in 'Contra Iudaeos: Ancient and Medieval Polemics between Christians and Jews', Limor and Stroumsa, editors, 1996). Nevertheless, this Italian edition, printed in italic type, appears to be quite scarce. The front flyleaf carries the ownership signature 'Nahum Barnet, Melbourne 1891'. Nahum Barnet (1855-1931), architect and journalist, was an active member of Melbourne's Jewish community; not least, he designed the extant Synagogue in Toorak Road, South Yarra (1928-30, 'his last major work'). Isaac Selby later claimed that Barnet 'had designed a building in every street in Melbourne proper' (Australian Dictionary of Biography. While you're at it, read the entry on Selby too!).
Octavo (186 x 128 mm), 188 (last colophon) pages plus 23 plates.
Cloth (probably mottled grey with scarlet lettering) a little rubbed and bumped at the extremities; edges and endpapers a little foxed; front inner hinge lightly reinforced; mild signs of use and age; a very good copy.
Rosa Angela Kirkcaldie (1887-1972), hospital matron and army nurse, began her outstanding war service on 21 August 1914 when she join 'the 'Grantala', the hospital ship accompanying the Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force to German New Guinea'. By mid-May 1915 she was serving in Malta, attending to the wounded from Gallipoli. After a lengthy period on the hospital ship 'Panama', she worked in military hospitals in both France and England before returning to Australia in early 1918. In 1924 she became 'the 'very celebrated' matron of the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children, Camperdown', before retiring in 1945 (Australian Dictionary of Biography). This book is an account of her war service, which in large part was shared by her friend and colleague, Elsie Clara Welman. We meet her first on page 16, as Kirkcaldie leaves for New Guinea: 'Elsie Welman, a dear friend ... Little did both of us think, as we waved farewell that day, that fate had decreed that we were to cross the world together, and serve for three thrilling years in the European theatre of the Great War'. They appear together in a group portrait (facing page 90), and she is mentioned numerous times in the narrative. They travel home together on the 'Runic', a transport returning to Australia with wounded men. 'The return trip was for the most part quiet and uneventful. This, the sunset of our wanderings, was illumined by the soft radiance of romance, and Elsie left the 'Runic' engaged to be married'. There's more to the fairytale ending: the half-title is inscribed in pencil to 'Capt. A.E. White with best wishes from Eileen C. Dobby. The 'Elsie' in this book is Mrs Archdeacon White'. The man Elsie met on the return voyage was an army chaplain with the 44th Battalion, Arthur Ernest White (1883-1954). He had emigrated to Australia in 1912 to join the Bush Brotherhood in WA. The couple were married in June 1918; in May 1923 White 'was appointed Archdeacon of Broken Hill, serving there for over six years until his departure for Albany in late 1929. On 25 April 1930, his first Anzac Day in Albany, White started the day with a celebration of the Holy Eucharist at dawn, the time the convoys had left in 1914. In a later service, White led his parishioners on a pilgrimage to the summit of Mount Clarence, where they watched a wreath, tossed out by a boatman in the Sound, float out to sea' (National Anzac Centre website). While the claim that White conducted the first Anzac Day Dawn Service is unproven, his actions in 1930 seem to have been the catalyst for this annual tradition.
A vellum document (338 x 453 mm), with substantial letterpress on the recto (and perfunctory docketing details on the verso), and the lengthy relevant details of the transaction in manuscript, variously signed and sealed, with the fragile official paper-covered wax seal undamaged.
Three vertical creases where folded for filing; a few minor creases to the edges; trifling signs of handling; an attractive item in excellent condition.
John Hamilton McLachlan purchased land in Wickliffe, still a small settlement (it may have even been larger in 1854) about 225 kilometres west of Melbourne on the Glenelg Highway. Hamilton is probably the Reverend John Hamilton McLachlan who emigrated with his family from Scotland and 'first went to Geelong upon their arrival in 1850, then to the Western District, [then] Brighton then Talbot - at the height of the gold mining era'; before eventually becoming a minister of St Cuthbert's Presbyterian Church, Brighton (information from the 'Victorian Collections' site online). The document is signed by La Trobe, Foster, and the Acting Registrar, Augustus Farley (6 March 1854). Charles Joseph La Trobe (1801-1875) was appointed the first superintendent of the Port Phillip District in January 1839; he arrived at Melbourne on 30 September that year. In January 1851 he was appointed lieutenant-governor of Victoria after the colony was granted its own representative government. 'In December 1852 La Trobe had submitted his resignation but was not relieved until 1854; he sailed for England on 6 May' (all biographical information from the Australian Dictionary of Biography). The ADB entry on John Leslie Fitzgerald Vesey Foster (1818-1900), civil servant, landowner and author, suggests that his signature is worth having as well. Shortly after his arrival in Sydney he 'travelled overland to Port Phillip in 1841 and in 1844 went into partnership with his cousin, (Sir) William Stawell, on a neighbouring property, Ratherscar; Foster also acquired land on the Maribyrnong River near Melbourne. His pastoral ventures brought him no great fortune but with his family background they identified him with the colony's conservative squatting element. Although overshadowed by Stawell and often ridiculed in the 'Argus', he carved out a place in colonial society and in 1846-48 and 1849-50 was one of the Port Phillip representatives in the New South Wales Legislative Council'. He returned to Ireland in 1850, but in 1852 'he applied for the colonial secretaryship and in 1853 returned to Victoria to take up the post on 20 July. He served under Lieutenant-Governor Charles La Trobe until May 1854 and then acted as administrator of the colony until Governor Sir Charles Hotham arrived in June. In September 1853 Foster became a member of the committee chosen to draft a new constitution for Victoria. Determined to safeguard established interests, he and Stawell dominated the committee, and the Constitution, accepted with minor amendments, was skillfully framed so that its democratic features were more obvious than its conservatism. Foster's executive positions in a time of financial difficulty and goldfield unrest made him the target of much criticism.... Under strong pressure from Hotham Foster offered to resign on 4 December 1854; a week later Hotham accepted the offer ... In 1857 he returned to England.... He admitted that he would not have resigned had he foreseen the lasting resentment against him; clearly he was made a scapegoat for Eureka'.
Large quarto, xvi, 624 pages with numerous illustrations ('photographic portraits of famous dogs') plus 21 full-page colour plates.
Light brown gilt-pictorial cloth printed in dark brown, all edges gilt; covers slightly flecked, marked and rubbed, with the spine lightly sunned; replacement endpapers; an excellent copy of a handsome publication.
Le Havre, Museum d'Histoire Naturelle du Havre, 2016 (first edition in English, translated by Jean Fornasiero and John West-Sooby)/ 2009.
Quarto (293 x 262 mm), 392 pages with hundreds of colour plates.
Laminated colour pictorial papered boards; a mint copy.
Charles-Alexander Lesueur (1778-1846) 'joined the Baudin expedition as a crew member, but ... [became] an expedition artist when the official artists resigned. Lesueur became the natural history artist, and his images of Australia's exotic marine life are particularly striking. He was a friend of the scientist Peron, and when Peron became ill after the expedition had returned to France, Lesueur nursed him until his death in 1810. In 1815 Lesueur went to the United States and travelled extensively there and in the West Indies before he settled down in Philadelphia. Lesueur stayed in the United States for 25 years, where he discovered a number of zoological species including tortoises and fishes. He taught painting, and was elected a member of the American Philosophical Society, and of the Academy of Natural Sciences. Lesueur returned to France in 1837, and in 1845 went back to Le Havre to oversee the building of the Natural History Museum. He became this museum's first Director. Lesueur died in 1846, having been awarded the Legion of Honour in the previous year' (State Library of South Australia website). This lavishly-illustrated book contains artworks from all periods of his life.
Le Havre, Museum d'Histoire Naturelle du Havre, 2014.
Folio, 167,  (colophon) pages with numerous colour illustrations derived mainly from original artwork from Baudin's expedition (including large colour plates of 96 different species of jellyfish).
Quarter cloth and colour pictorial papered boards, in the cloth slipcase; a mint copy.
A bi-lingual publication. 'As naturalists on Nicolas Baudin's voyages, François Péron and illustrator Charles-Alexandre Lesueur collected thousands of species, but both men became fascinated with jellyfish. Their work brought the known number of jellyfish species to 120 - over four times as many as had been documented previously. Lesueur's shimmering illustrations created one of the first, and most important, depictions of jellyfish in the world' (publisher's agent's blurb). This book reproduces Lesueur's original artwork on vellum in the Le Havre Museum of Natural History.
Foolscap folio, 21 pages plus a large folding map (575 x 855 mm).
Recent quarter leather and gilt-lettered cloth; very short tear to the map near the stub expertly repaired; a fine copy.
South Australian Parliamentary Paper Number 239 of 1883-84; one of only 680 copies. Leaving Katherine in late July 1883, Lindsay 'led a Government expedition of six men into Arnhem Land. He followed the overland telegraph ... to Roper Creek. He travelled east to the Chambers River and on to the Roper River. He surveyed along the north bank of the Roper to its confluence with Leichhardt's Wilton River and followed the Wilton upstream to the junction with the Mainoru River. Returning to the Roper, he went downstream until he reached its tidal flats, about twenty miles from Limmen Bight. A broad line of country was then explored to the north and the expedition reached the Gulf of Carpentaria near latitude 14* S, opposite Groote Eylandt. A general north-west course was taken and the Goyder River traced to the coast at Castlereagh Bay. Directing the expedition homeward, Lindsay crossed the Blyth River above its tidal influence, and reached the Mann River, a tributary of the Liverpool. Following a south-westerly course now, the party reached the banks of the Liverpool River and followed it to its source. Continuing south, they came to another stream, which Lindsay described as the 'supposed Cadell River', but he had come again to the banks of the Mann, which was also followed to its source. Crossing the watershed between the northerly and westerly flowing rivers of central Arnhem Land the expedition came to the headwaters of the Katherine River' (Feeken, Feeken and Spate: 'The Discovery and Exploration of Australia') and thence back to Katherine in early November, having covered 1916 miles. 'Rivers and Creeks from my exploration' are overprinted with a wide grey-blue band on this most detailed map. Lindsay notes in his journal that the 'natives are very numerous, and inclined to be hostile', and he gives a detailed account of an incident when 'After seeing the coast we started west for the Liverpool, lost our horses in the tableland for five days, were attacked by natives and [were] compelled to fire on them in self defence'. McLaren 12615.
Saddle-stitched title-wrappers (with the details printed within a decorative border); exposed pages dusty and a little marked, with some loss to silverfish to the top blank margin of the first ten leaves and the last leaf (with the moderate damage to... Read complete entry
Not in Ferguson; not in Trove. A temperance tract with a difference; for one thing, it is addressed primarily to the 'Householders who are Houseletters' ('Are they not responsible to some extent for the character and doings of their tenants? ... Melbourne is rearing some stately buildings above ground. But it is building a basement storey as well; which is growing wider, and is sinking deeper into the mire every year' - well, morally, if not literally, he hastens to add). More significantly however, apart from the title page and preface on its verso, almost the entire pamphlet is devoted to a very detailed discussion of the Burke and Hare Murders, and the subsequent trials of William Burke and Helen Macdougal. William Burke and William Hare committed 16 (or more) murders in 1828 in Edinburgh, and sold the corpses to Doctor Robert Knox for dissection at his anatomy lectures. But as R. Mackay so eloquently puts it at the end of his 'terribly true' tale, 'Burke had another accomplice beside Macdougal and the Hares - one which gave him powerful help - and without which he never could have carried on his dismal trade. I mean the Bottle. Why was it not put upon its trial - and being found guilty, condemned to suffer the penalties of the law? I shall put it upon its trial now....'.
Adelaide, Corporation of the City of Adelaide, 1990 [first edition].
Folio (322 x 230 mm), 407 pages with hundreds of illustrations, maps and plates plus endpaper maps.
Gilt-decorated papered boards a little bumped along one bottom edge and the foot of the spine; an excellent copy with the dustwrapper unevenly but heavily sunned on the spine.
Inscribed on the verso of the front flyleaf to 'Colin Thiele for his 70th Birthday 16 Nov. 1990 from Friends, Colleagues, Students & 'Wattlies', presented on 17 November 1990'. The book contains 'text about each heritage item, ... also photographs and maps to show the location of each item in the city.... [It is] a valuable source guide for social and family historians, and those concerned with built form who are generally interested in the historical development of the city, 1836 to 1990' (publisher's blurb). It is also an invaluable reference work on colonial South Australian photography.
Folio, 'containing 113 plates after photographs by the author' and a colour map of Kenya; the frontispiece is a double-page plate of 'Advancing Elephants in the Lorian Swamp', but the linen-backed folding plate of charging elephants is no longer present in the endpocket.
Navy buckram; top edge gilt, others uncut; cloth a little scuffed and marked, with the spine sunned; bottom corner of one plate and the adjacent leaf creased; minor signs of use (for example, most tissue-guards are a little creased); overall a very... Read complete entry
Red cloth lightly flecked and rubbed; top edge and endpapers a little foxed, with the flyleaves heavily offset; leading edge lightly pitted; trifling signs of use; an excellent copy.
With the two-colour bookplate (by George Perrottet, dated 1942) of horticulturalist, naturalist and author Edward Edgar Pescott (1872-1954), and a few annotations by him in pencil. The one on the flyleaf sets the scene: 'First edition, soon suppressed and withdrawn. 2nd expurgated edition appeared later'. George Dick Meudell (1860-1936), 'stockbroker, company promoter and accountant', is the unexceptional way his entry in the Australian Dictionary of Biography commences. He was a 'passionate nationalist, inventor in 1882 of the slogan, 'Australia for the Australians', ... active in the Australian Natives' Association, where he enjoyed making 'inflammatory speeches' about 'the decadent British Empire, the glorious destiny of Australia and the superiority of the native Australian'.... 'A short, rotund figure' in frock-coat and top-hat, a bon vivant, Meudell believed that to be well dressed afforded greater solace than religion. Bustling, energetic and forceful in his opinions, he 'had a mania for establishing leagues and associations', many of them short lived.... 'My way of joking', Meudell wrote, 'is to tell the truth'. When he chose to tell the truth about the Victorian land boom in a rambling, idiosyncratic and uninhibited autobiography, 'The Pleasant Career of a Spendthrift', its publication in 1929 caused a sensation. On the instruction of its chairman J.M. Gillespie, a land-boomer, Robertson & Mullen's withdrew it, and other booksellers were warned of possible legal consequences of stocking it. For a time Meudell sold his book privately but in 1935 published an expurgated version, 'The Pleasant Career of a Spendthrift and his Later Reflections' ... Predeceased by his wife he died childless on 26 or 27 May 1936 at St Kilda, and was cremated, leaving almost no assets' but having made, lost or missed out on several fortunes ...
London, T. Fisher Unwin, 1898 (second edition)/ 1891.
Octavo (215 x 145 mm), xvi, 408 pages with 39 illustrations plus numerous plates (mainly full-page line drawings).
Cloth lightly sunned and rubbed; top edge slightly marked; endpapers offset and lightly marked; an excellent copy.
With the ownership details (July 1902) of Evan Kyffin Thomas (1866-1935), South Australian journalist and newspaper proprietor. Tipped in on the flyleaf is a short note in the owner's hand: 'Little Peter died - Friday, July 11, 1902 - aged five months - everyone loved him'. It took us a little while to realise it was more the stuff of poignancy than tragedy ...
Small octavo (183 x 117 mm),  pages printed in red and black throughout, with 7 line illustrations by Ernest H. Shepard.
Slightly creased, with the second leaf lightly foxed and scored; overall in excellent condition.
'Ready in the Autumn, 1928' is printed across the top of the front page; the variant editions available include one 'on vellum, signed and limited to 20 copies' at 10 guineas. The spiel continues: 'Once more, and for the last time we meet Christopher Robin and his Friends in the Forest.... At the end Pooh makes, as far as his waist will permit, his farewell bow, hoping that if you hear no more of him and Christopher Robin, you will keep a friendly place in your hearts for them'. The other three pages advertise the first three books ('When We Were Very Young' is in its 169th Thousand), and numerous other Pooh-related publications and printed products (illustrated notepaper, and 'Vespers' on a decorated hanging card).
Duodecimo (external dimensions 169 x 90 mm), 20 pages.
Overlapping decorated card covers (light brown, printed in dark blue), originally saddle-stapled (with the slightly rusty staples still present), but with three small holes in all inner margins (where later stabbed for filing?); covers a little... Read complete entry
Inscribed and signed in ink on the title page 'From E.E. Hendy Esq. Sept 1913'. Hendy figures regularly in the text by FWL (a regular contributor to 'The Australasian', it seems, but we have not yet identified him or her); 'the well-known Geelong firm, Messrs. Hendy, Leary and Co.' were pioneer developers in the district. Hendy's involvement was ongoing and substantial, according to the potted history contained in the Surfcoast Shire's 'Moriac Structure Plan' of February 2010 (accessed online). 'The rural village of Moriac [about 20 kilometres west of Geelong], south of Mount Moriac along the Hendy Main Road, is unusual as a privately laid-out township. It was the creation of E.E. Hendy, a Geelong estate agent and later a Shire of Barrabool Councillor. Hendy laid out the township beside Moriac Railway Station in 1924. He developed the subdivision at his own expense, including the construction of roads such as Hendy Highway ... Hendy also provided finance for a saleyard.' Not in Trove.
Quarto (287 x 255 mm), 192 pages with hundreds of colour plates (many full-page).
Papered boards with the dustwrapper in the matching card slipcase; a mint copy.
By comparing and contrasting text, artwork and maps from the original expeditions with the text and images of Bloomfield and Mouchet, 'this book attempts to evoke the fascination the sailors, scientists and artists must have experienced ... [when] confronted by the uniqueness and novelty' of the new continent.
'Besides the ordinary courses for officers and non-commissioned officers, [the ISI] holds machine-gun, Lewis gun, signal and telephone, artillery, Stokes gun, and grenadier classes. Between 7th January and 31st May, 1,166 officers and 5,512 other ranks attended and passed in the various classes' (from Sir Archibald Murray's Despatches - First Despatch, 1 June 1916). The 22nd Battalion was first deployed to Gallipoli in September 1915 and remained in the lines until the evacuation. By March 1916 it had embarked for France, suggesting the likely date for this unusual and arresting photograph. The extensive annotations on the verso, which include the identity of all the Australians in the image, add immensely to its intrinsic worth.
Imperial quarto, 118,  (list of subscribers, last blank) pages with numerous illustrations plus 45 tipped-in full-page plates (15 in colour).
Light blue cloth illustrated and ornately lettered in gilt on the spine and front cover; top edge gilt, others uncut; pictorial endpapers; cloth a little rubbed, scuffed, and flecked, with a small fingerprint-sized red stain to the last word of the... Read complete entry
With the ownership signatures of Betty Angas (1916), and Keith Angas (Elizabeth Etty Angas, wife of Charles Howard Angas, and their son, Sir John Keith Angas [1900-1977]). In 1916, Ida Rentoul Outhwaite 'brought out her first coloured work, 'Elves and Fairies', a de luxe edition produced entirely in Australia by Thomas Lothian [and limited to 1500 copies]. The success of the book, with its delicate water-colour plates, was due both to Ida's artistic talent and to the business acumen of her husband, who provided a Â£400 subsidy to ensure a high-quality production and consigned royalties to the Red Cross, thereby encouraging vice-regal patronage.... Visiting Europe in 1920, Ida exhibited with great success in Paris and London. Critics discerned the technical influence of Beardsley, Rackham, Dulac and Greenaway but affirmed the originality of her vision. She signed a contract with A. & C. Black who published five books for her over the next decade' (Australian Dictionary of Biography).
150 x 125 mm, 64 pages with a facsimile letter and 4 full-page illustrations (portraits of specific children, reproduced from photographs).
Flush-cut card covers with the leading corners rounded throughout (as issued); front cover lightly marked; rear cover lightly stained; two tiny pieces missing from the rear cover and the foot of the spine expertly infilled; an excellent copy.
Noted but not listed in Muir, as 'These are in fact sketches of children, & not written for children' (see page 317 in the 1992 edition). Published shortly after her very successful 'Australian Legendary Tales' (1896), 'More Australian Legendary Tales' (1898), and their contemporary reprints and combined editions, all relatively common today, Langloh Parker's third book is very rare. The fact that it looks like a children's book, feels like a children's book, and has the catch-words 'boy', 'baby' and 'children' four times on the cover and title page, yet isn't any of the above may have something to do with it. The words 'A Bush Booklet' at the head of the front cover suggests to us a series in the offing; that we can trace no further kindred publications also suggests that this first volume failed to find a market and that the project foundered. The light sketches certainly make heavy going today ...
Geelong, Steven Wrathall & Co., Printers and Publishers, 'Evening News' Offices, 1891.
Duodecimo (168 x 118 mm), -93 pages (but complete - the first and last blank leaves line the flyleaves).
Flush-cut red cloth lettered in black on the front cover; cloth a little marked, lightly stained, and rubbed at the extremities, with trifling wear to the foot of the spine and minimal loss to silverfish at the rear; endpapers lightly marked; inner... Read complete entry
Henry Stow (Harry) Pincott (1848-1893) was a painter, teacher and scene-painter. He arrived with his parents from England in 1853, and the family settled in Geelong. He began his schooling at Geelong Grammar. From the late 1860s, he was a regular exhibitor of his artworks. In January 1881 he embarked from Sydney for New York, little dreaming 'that I was destined to be away seven years, and that I would go through a variety of ups and downs such as most Bohemians have to endure'. This book is his account of those wandering years in America and Britain. He spent three years in America, 'painting scenery and transparencies as well as landscapes in oils. He then sailed to Britain and toured the English counties, first as a scene-painter and actor for a theatrical group, then as an itinerant painter. He was back in Geelong by 1889' ('The Dictionary of Australian Artists ... to 1870'). A short article in the 'Western Mail' (Saturday 4 March 1893) reports his death from delirium tremens five days earlier in Fremantle Prison. 'He was brought in from North Fremantle ... in an unconscious condition. It appears that deceased [sic] was a heavy drinker, and that latterly he had had several fits, and was in a state of delirium' from which he never rallied. Not in Ferguson; Trove records only the Deakin University and National Library of Australia copies.
Adelaide, printed for E.H. Derrington by L. Henn and Co., 1884.
Octavo, 270, xix (advertisements) pages (including the recto of the rear flyleaf) plus advertisements on the pastedowns and adjacent pages of the flyleaves.
Original purple cloth sunned on the spine and (slightly and unevenly) on the front cover; spine a little marked; endpapers offset; a very good copy (internally fine).
The compiler was the librarian. From the collection of Dr Frederick Lucas Benham, with his bookplate and ownership signature, plus a letter to him from the Institute in 1905 'expressing great regret at your resignation' (mounted on a rear advertising page). Also mounted on two other advertising pages are sheets of information relating to Institutes and their price list of journals (dated 1904). Loosely inserted is a lengthy newspaper clipping regarding the old tollgate on Port Road, and a four-page octavo card (now starting to split along a fold across the centre) from the Institute, containing a printed list of nearly 100 magazine titles held by the library, with the number ordered, their cost price and how many were sold. This makes interesting reading - the most popular magazines were Pearson's, The Strand and The Windsor at 49 copies each. Ferguson 14258. This material is offered together with a copy of MELENG, F.E.: Fifty Years of the Port Adelaide Institute (Incorporated) with Supplementary Catalogue. Adelaide, Vardon and Pritchard, 1902; octavo, [viii], 84, [iv], 124 (catalogue), xxi (advertisements) pages plus numerous plates; original textured wrappers a little creased and sunned. [2 items].
London, Heinemann, 1919 [first edition, first impression].
Royal octavo (255 x 165 mm), [ii] (blank), xxii, 376 pages with 6 sketch maps (one full-page) plus a colour frontispiece with a captioned tissue-guard, a double-page panorama and 86 full-page plates, a large folding map, and an errata slip (tipped in at page 1).
Original silver-pictorial dark blue cloth lightly rubbed and bumped at the extremities; front cover lightly marked near the leading edge; endpapers foxed; acidic paper uniformly discoloured as ever with this first impression; a few tiny edge tears,... Read complete entry
Provenance: from the personal collection of Richard Walter Richards, one of the Ross Sea Shore Party, with his contemporary ownership details on the front flyleaf: 'R W Richards ITAE 1914-17'. The Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914-17 comprised two teams, the Weddell Sea party in the 'Endurance' and the Ross Sea party in the 'Aurora'. 'An essential aspect of Shackleton's scheme for crossing the Antarctic was that a second and quite separate expedition should establish a base on the Ross Sea to provide support for the transantarctic party and establish forward depots'. Things went horribly wrong for both parties, with the 'Endurance' fragmenting under the pressure of being locked in the ice of the Weddell Sea, resulting in the famous journey of survival that culminated in the epic voyage of the 22-foot boat 'James Caird' to South Georgia Island. Shackleton then learned that the men of the Ross Sea party were stranded on Ross Island, 'Aurora' having been torn from its moorings during a severe storm at the onset of the previous winter and being unable to return. When the relief expedition finally reached them, three members of the party had perished. Shackleton returned 'to England in May 1917 and dictated the text of the popular account of the expedition to Edward Saunders, largely from recollection. Final editing was carried out by Leonard Hussey, with personal accounts by Mackintosh, Stenhouse and others, and the book was finally published in 1919' (Howgego, Volume 3). 'This exploit, which has captured the modern imagination, certainly struck the world differently in 1919; in the aftermath of the First World War feats of extraordinary heroism were thick on the ground, and so Shackleton's truly remarkable tale of survival at the extremes of human endurance largely fell flat. This is emphasised in the book's production: the first issue contained cheap paper prone to severe browning, a poorly crafted binding likely to split at the joints with normal usage and silver printing on the binding subject to oxidizing' (The Taurus Collection, 2001). The Ross Sea party remained stranded until January 1917, when 'Aurora', which had been repaired and refitted in New Zealand, arrived to rescue them. Public recognition of their efforts was slow in coming, but in due course four Albert Medals were awarded to members of the party, two posthumously. Richard Walter Richards (1893-1985) was one of those awarded the Albert Medal in 1923 for his efforts on the ice to save the lives of two of his comrades; this award was converted in 1971 to the George Cross. He outlived all other members of the expedition, and became the last survivor of the 'Heroic Age' of Antarctic exploration. A contemporary review by Peter Schledermann in the journal 'Arctic' of the 2003 reprint of Richards' personal account, 'The Ross Sea Shore Party, 1914-17' (first published in 1962), is less sanguine: 'The account of the Ross Sea Party remains vastly overshadowed by Shackleton's 'Endurance' calamity. The fact that three men, and very nearly the entire party, died while carrying out their part of Shackleton's lofty trans-Antarctic plans may further explain the relative obscurity of this episode, as it somewhat tarnishes the heroic shine of Shackleton's efforts'. Conrad, page 224; Spence 1107; Renard 1460; Taurus 105; Rosove 308.A1.
Melbourne, Georgian House, 1966 [abridged one-volume edition, with revisions].
Quarto, xviii, 323 pages with 8 itinerary maps, 269 plates and a frontispiece plus endpaper maps.
Cloth; edges and endpapers slightly marked; an excellent copy with the dustwrapper slightly chipped, torn and marked.
First published in 1964 in a two-volume signed limited edition, this version is overall the better: it 'includes all buildings appearing in the original edition and [an extra] three dwellings and two churches ... Additional photographs of some houses, previously illustrated, have also been included where recent restoration or repainting has enhanced the aesthetic quality of the building'.
Large quarto, xii, 120, cxliv, cii, [ii] (omissions and errata, verso blank) pages plus an engraved frontispiece portrait and 19 lithographs (13 hand-coloured) with tissue-guards.
Original patterned blue cloth with the title in gilt, within a decorative gilt border, on the spine; all edges uncut; cloth a little marked and bumped, unevenly sunned, lightly stained, and lightly worn at the extremities; tidemark to the top margin... Read complete entry
At the head of the title page is the signature of John Howard Angas (1823-1904), pastoralist, politician and philanthropist, and the second son of George Fife Angas. The first 104 pages and 13 plates (10 hand-coloured) deal with the indigenous peoples encountered ('the Esquimaux found in the Territory of Boothia Felix' and the 'Native Population of Greenland'), and their languages. The companion narrative volume was issued separately the same year.
Octavo, xvi, 272 pages plus 17 plates, a double-page chromolithograph of the Queensland flowering cotton tree and a folding colour map.
Gilt- and blind-pictorial cloth, all edges uncut; cloth slightly marked and a little flecked and sunned; rear inner hinge slightly cracked but firm; an excellent copy.
A large 'With The Author's Compliments' slip has been pasted on the front flyleaf (the leaf is now a little cockled, and the paste is a little discoloured); the slip is signed 'K. Langloh Parker 1898'. On the front pastedown is her later pictorial bookplate (featuring indigenous spear-fishermen) in the name Catherine Stow (after her second marriage). (Marian) Ellis Rowan (1848-1922), 'artist, naturalist and explorer', travelled extensively after the death of her husband in 1892. She 'returned to Australia in 1905-06 where she pursued her search to find and record every species of wildflower on the continent. The South Australian government purchased 100 of her paintings and Queensland 125'. After her death, the Australian Government purchased 947 of her paintings; 'Probably of greater botanical than artistic value, the Rowan collection is held at the National Library of Australia' (Australian Dictionary of Biography). Catherine Eliza Somerville (Katie) Stow (1856-1940) married Langloh Parker, a well-known pastoralist, in 1875. From 1879 to the 1890s they lived at Bangate station on the Narran River, near Walgett, New South Wales. During those years, Katie Langloh Parker collected the myths and legends of the local Aboriginal people, and published two important volumes, 'Australian Legendary Tales' (1896) and 'More Australian Legendary Tales' (1898).
Octavo (215 x 140 mm), 44 pages (including the wrappers) with 2 illustrations (one on the front cover).
Title-wrappers; tear to a blank portion of the rear wrapper expertly sealed; bottom margin of the leaves in the second half of the booklet a little bumped; an excellent copy.
At the head of the front cover is printed 'For Private Circulation', above which appears the pencil signature of Will J. Sowden (2 June 1915), and his catalogue number in ink. Sir William Sowden (1858-1943) was editor of 'The Register' in Adelaide. Loosely inserted in the booklet is an autograph letter signed from Saunders (22 May 1915), presenting the item to Sowden. He describes it as the result of three years' investigation: 'I have only written for reference & for private circulation & did so because of the number of bogus accounts of Hayes & his doings which are current. In your issue of 23rd June 1896 is an interview [Louis] Becke gave your Mr Whittington [sic] which contains a number of untruths, as Becke was not accurate & did not aim at accuracy'. About a dozen relevant contemporary newspaper cuttings are also present.
Quarto (245 x 175 mm), two volumes, xxvi, 634 (last blank),  (publisher's advertisement) pages; and xvi, 534,  (blank) pages 'With Photogravure Frontispieces, 6 Original Sketches in Photogravure by Dr. E.A. Wilson, 18 Coloured Plates (16 from Drawings by Dr. Wilson), 260 Full-Page and smaller Illustrations, from Photographs taken by Herbert G. Ponting, and other Members of the Expedition; Panoramas and Maps'.
Dark blue ribbed cloth lettered in gilt on the front covers and spines; top edges gilt, others uncut; cloth a little flecked, marked, rubbed, and a little bumped at the extremities, with the spines a little dulled; minimal light foxing (confined... Read complete entry
The front pastedown of the first volume carries the ink signatures of seven members of the expedition. The pastedown itself is signed by geologists Griffith Taylor, Frank Debenham, Raymond Priestley, and the physicist Charles Wright ('C.S. Wright Nov 6/13'). Mounted next to them are the snipped signatures of Robert Forde, Petty Officer on the 'Terra Nova'; Francis Drake, secretary and meteorologist on the ship; and Bernard C. Day, motor engineer. Conrad, page 188; Spence 1056; Renard 1386; Taurus 77; Rosove 290.A1. [2 items].
Quarto, [i] (statement of limitation), xx, 312 pages with 68 illustrations plus 26 full-page colour plates (including 2 tipped-in plates with captioned tissue-guards).
Quarter buckram and marbled papered boards, top edge gilt, others uncut; spine slightly foxed; corners bumped, with the paper on them a little worn; uncut edges and endpapers a little foxed, with the flyleaves heavily offset; some plates a little... Read complete entry
Number 83 of the deluxe edition, limited to only 150 copies signed by Charles Simpson and 'printed on Arnold & Foster hand-made paper, with two extra illustrations in colour'. With the Adrian Feint-designed bookplate of [Sir] James McGregor.
Melbourne, Smith & Adamson, [February 1859 (fourth edition)].
Duodecimo (165 x 110 mm), [ii] (title page, verso blank), iv, [ii] ('Address', verso blank), 107,  (double-page 'Tabular View of the Kitchen Garden Calendar', last colophon) pages.
Original blind-decorated textured grey cloth lettered in gilt on the front cover; cloth a little marked and mottled, and slightly worn at the corners, with minor conservation work to the spine (mainly stabilizing the rear hinge); one opening lightly... Read complete entry
The title page contains the contemporary ownership details of 'F.B. Force, Melbourne, 1859' (possibly the same F.B. Force who is mentioned regularly in various Melbourne newspapers of the 1880s and 1890s as an accountant, then secretary of the Melbourne Water Supply Department, and later treasurer of the Metropolitan Board of Works). The later ownership signature of Edward Edgar Pescott (1872-1954), horticulturalist, naturalist, and author, appears on the front pastedown. The 'Address' printed in the book is an informative note from the publishers; not least, the third edition of April 1858 comprised 2000 copies, and this fourth edition is unchanged. Ferguson 15760 (this item, but noting only 'glazed pink wrappers'). See also Ferguson 15761-68; his last entry is for the 14th edition in 1896, 'Revised by F. Hamilton Brunning' and that it 'Turned into 'Brunning's Australian Gardener' after 1901'). See Crittenden 28 for more along the same lines (and Ferguson 15769 and Crittenden 15 for yet more about the precursors).
Foolscap folio, two consecutive Parliamentary Papers, 4 pages; and x, 69 pages.
Drop-title (first Paper) and title-wrappers (both as issued); five small holes and notches in the left-hand margin and spine where stab-sewn when bound (now neatly disbound); a fine copy.
South Australian Parliamentary Paper Numbers 58 and 58A of 1888. 'Built in Belfast in 1868, the 'Star of Greece', laden with wheat, was wrecked in a violent storm off Port Willunga on the 13th July 1888. Some discrepancy exists in the actual number of lives lost, due to doubts about the number of people aboard the vessel when it left Port Adelaide, but most historians conclude that at least 18 perished. The most striking part of the tragedy was that the ship was only 200 metres from shore when it broke in two amidships at 2.00am. The alarm was raised at 7.20am by a young boy taking his morning walk but because the Willunga telegraph station didn't open until 9.00am, former harbourmaster Thomas Martin was unable to contact authorities in Adelaide until then. The response to the call for help was disastrous. A combination of poor communications, bad roads, and an inability to find a good vehicle and horses to bring the necessary rocket gear for a rescue attempt meant that it was 4.00pm when useful help finally arrived. By then all the survivors were ashore and the others aboard had already drowned in the roaring surf. Local residents had gone to the nearby beach to assist those who did manage to make it to shore. They bore witness to the deaths of those who fell into the sea, exhausted after desperately clinging to the rigging, and those who drowned in the mountainous seas as they tried to swim ashore. Helpless, they waited until some mariners made it to the shallows and then took them to nearby lodgings to recuperate. Following the tragedy newspapers strongly criticised the Marine Board and its rescue operations and a later Coronial inquest was equally damning' (the Australian Broadcasting Commission website, 'Backyard' segment). The 2320 questions and answers in the Minutes of Evidence in the main Report of the Select Committee make sobering reading.
A double-sided fourteen-panel leporello, 130 x 1810 mm, folding down to 130 x 130 mm, with a letter of the alphabet on each panel represented by a charming animal illustration and a short humorous verse (well, X has just the latter!); when folded, the front outer panel is the title, and the rear one has the author and publishing details.
Colour-pictorial card; front panel a little marked and scuffed; short splits to two folds expertly sealed; a very good copy (internally excellent).
Not surprisingly, the letter K features the Kanguruh, with the following verse: 'Man pflegt oft Taschen zu verlieren - dem Kanguruh kann's nicht passieren' (People often lose their bags - this can't happen to the kangaroo!). Not in Trove - hop into it before it's too late ....
They form a uniform series of three photographically illustrated advertisements for the 'Sydney Daily Telegraph', 'Thomas Webb & Sons, Glass Manufacturers', and 'Robert Harper & Co.... Importers of Coffee, Pepper, Spices, Rice, Sago, Tapioca, &c.'. Each comprises a captioned card leaf (approximately 280 x 225 mm, all edges gilt, verso blank), with an original full-plate albumen paper photograph of the respective business premises mounted in the centre, within a red printed border (two photographs are approximately 145 x 185 mm, the other one is approximately 195 x 150 mm). The advertisements are undated, but they are most likely from the 1870s (and possibly removed from a high-quality publication of the period).
Octavo, [iv], vi, 219 pages with 87 illustrations plus 5 plates [and] xii, 166 pages.
Stippled cloth (with the binder's ticket of W.K. Thomas, Adelaide); spine a little sunned; an excellent copy, essentially unused.
The cumulative edition, comprising the original sheets of the first title, printed and published in Adelaide by the Government Printer in 1884, and the second volume, published in Sydney by Bruck in 1894. Of the first part, Ford states: 'First work in English devoted wholly to hydatid disease. Deals with preventive aspects. Appendix describes experiments on development of worms in dogs, following ingestion of human material' (Ford 2183). This cumulative edition of Ford 2183 and 2186 is Ford 2187. With the bookplate of Professor Thorburn Brailsford Robertson, the son-in-law of Sir Edward Charles Stirling (consult the 'Australian Dictionary of Biography' for details on these two eminent men).
The three vintage gelatin silver photographs (approximately 150 x 100 mm or the reverse) are on the original captioned mount, glazed and in the original attractive wooden frame with a broad gilt fillet behind the glass; external dimensions 290 x 580 mm, visible image size 180 x 470 mm. The individual captions are 'On the Beach at Glenelg', 'Captain Voss & his Mate', and 'Launching her at Glenelg'. The mate in this instance was Ed Donner. Apart from a light surface scratch to the portrait, the condition is excellent throughout. The photographs were taken at Glenelg, South Australia, in early January 1903; the photographer is not identified. 'Tilikum' started life in the early nineteenth century as a 38-foot indigenous Canadian dugout canoe made from a large red cedar log; Voss was inspired by the recent sailing exploits of Joshua Slocum in his sloop 'Spray'. Voss's account of the 41 months-long journey, 'The Venturesome Voyages of Captain Voss', was first published in Yokohama in 1913. Here he recounts the Adelaide leg of his trip: 'we sailed through the entrance of Port Phillip Bay, and shaped a course along the coast for Port Adelaide, a distance of about five hundred miles. When my new mate had sobered up he proved himself a first-class seaman. The wind was variable and moderate all the way, and nothing unusual happened during the trip. On the sixth day out we were becalmed near Kangaroo Island, and anchored there for the night. The next morning a light breeze blew from the south-west and we sailed with it up to Port Adelaide. There the 'Tilikum' again was taken ashore and conveyed to the City of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, where I stopped till December 28th. Thereafter I removed the boat to Glenell [sic], a summer and pleasure resort eight miles out of Adelaide. My mate was greatly addicted to alcoholic drinks, and I was obliged, therefore, to engage another man. When he was found, I sailed from Glenell [sic] on January 4th, 1903, for Hobart, Tasmania, a distance of about eight hundred miles, which was made in thirteen days with variable winds and good weather. The night before I was honoured with a banquet given by the Glenell [sic] yachtsmen who, when leaving, accompanied the 'Tilikum' for some distance in their yachts. On arrival at Hobart my new mate from Adelaide assured me that he had enjoyed the trip immensely and that he would like to accompany me to London in the 'Tilikum'. His name was Ed. O. Donner, but he was better known as the 'Tattooed Man of Australia', being tattooed all over his body. He was a good entertainer and knew how to while away the time pleasantly' - surely a minimum prerequisite for the job ...
Alloa and Halifax, Patons & Baldwins Limited, [1920s and 1930s].
A substantial loose-leaf album (245 x 320 mm), containing nearly 400 colour sheets of individual designs of rugs and mats, and their complete instructions for the home worker in tapestry ('the embroidery of wool on canvas').
There are approximately 250 sheets (220 x 300 mm) of designs for rugs, with large colour illustrations (generally) on both sides of the sheet (a very large detail on the recto, and on average a full reproduction of the rug design on the verso - sometimes this is not present, but more often than not, there are two alternative designs shown). Approximately 100 of these sheets are accompanied by a smaller sheet (150 x 220 mm) giving instructions for producing the companion mat; these have a colour illustration on the recto, with generic advertising on the verso. There are also approximately 40 of these small mat-design sheets loosely inserted. The first 54 sheets in the album, all for rugs, are identified by letters (from Chart A to Chart YQ). Numbers are then used, and the album contains a broken sequence from Number 1 to Number 293. Possibly the missing letters and numbers indicate discontinued lines; clearly this catalogue, designed for the trade proper, had a long shelf life. The loosely-inserted mat designs are mainly from Number 294 to 315 (there are two copies of each of the last dozen or so). Included in the bound sequence are six large design sheets for 'Reversible Crochet Rugs'. Also loosely inserted is a related booklet, 'The Gnome Book of Rugmaking and Embroidery' (quarto, 12 pages plus wrappers), with five colour-pictorial rug design leaflets. Patons of Alloa and Baldwins of Halifax were both longstanding British manufacturers of knitting yarns when they merged in 1920; this home rug-and-mat embroidery caper seems to have been one diversifying outcome. We don't know how successful it was (we have our suspicions), but if nothing else, this lavish catalogue is an exceptional pictorial record of the design tastes of the time. Patons & Baldwins Limited, Launceston (later Coats Patons Limited) was their first overseas manufacturing venture: 'Inexpensive hydro-power and water influenced the selection of Glen Dhu, Launceston as the site for the new mill in 1922. The availability of a labour force free from industrial unrest was another, unstated, consideration.... A paternalistic management approach would also ensure many years of continued freedom from industrial unrest and encourage long-term and multi-generation employment. The spinning mill commenced production in August 1923, with a nucleus of 50-60 skilled British workers. The start of production coincided with the end of the post-war textile boom, but increased tariff protection aided steady and continuous growth. By 1966 Patons and Baldwins had trebled in size, was the largest mill of its type in the southern hemisphere, and the state's biggest employer of women. Employment peaked at over 2100 before the decade's end. Ongoing structural changes saw it renamed Coats Patons Ltd in 1969. The reduction of tariff protection in the early 1970s marked a turning-point for the company. Between 1972 and 1982, employment fell from 1520 to 585. Conditions again took a downturn in the late 1980s, affected by inexpensive synthetic imports and the declining popularity of hand-knitting. By 1997, the parent company decided to move its Launceston operations to New Zealand. The mill closed on 31 July 1997' (The Companion to Tasmanian History, online). Two designs (numbers 21 and 79) depicting colourful parrots in healthy trees are the only evidence in the album of any parochial connection.
Edinburgh, Printed and sold by J. Robertson, .
Octavo (205 x 135 mm), 34 pages.
Recent marbled papered boards, with a paper title-label on the spine; edges browned; light scattered foxing; a very good copy.
Thomas Muir (1765-1799) and the Reverend Thomas Fyshe Palmer (1747-1802), both political reformers, were two of the Scottish Martyrs transported to New South Wales in 1794 for sedition. Their untimely deaths were one direct outcome of their transportation. Ferguson 193 (and 180a in the 'Addenda, 1784-1850' volume). For important information relative to this item, see the footnote to Ferguson 173 ('Speech of William Adam, Esq. in the House of Commons ...'). 'William Adam brought before the House ... the question of reversing the sentences of Muir and Palmer on the grounds of want of legality and failure to exercise proper discretion.... The vote, however, went against Adam's motion by a large majority [171 to 32]. Sheridan and Fox took part in this historic debate, the latter criticizing the trial very warmly'.
Gilt-decorated red cloth heavily flecked and faded around the top and leading edges of both covers; extremities slightly rubbed, with minor wear to the corners; endpapers and first and last pages a little offset; the three leaves after the title leaf... Read complete entry
'Jane Isabella Watts (1824-1894) was one of the daughters of William Giles, who came to South Australia in 1837 to take charge of the whaling station at Kangaroo Island. The family later moved to Adelaide, Mr Giles ... serving as the manager of the South Australian Company from 1841 to 1861. Her writings show Jane to have been a girl of lively intelligence and curiosity with a mischievous sense of humour' (Barbara Santich: 'In the Land of the Magic Pudding', 2000). A key to the identity of people and places alluded to in the book is loosely inserted. The author has inscribed the dedication page to 'Henry [or Thos] O'Halloran Giles / from his affec'te Aunt / J.I. Watts / 1891'; the recipient has annotated a few pages. The final paragraph on that page requests that 'The relatives of the author will kindly not allow this book to go out of their possession, or to be read by strangers during her lifetime' - the book is rare to this day. This book is a reworked version of the author's 'Memories of Early Days in South Australia', published for private circulation in 1882. That book contained memoirs 'of family life in the early days of the Colony, between the years of 1837 and 1845' (75 pages), two previously unpublished poems by the author (2 pages), and transcriptions of letters from 12 January 1854 to 12 December 1855 from a sister (Mrs George Waterhouse, here called 'Lena') on a return visit to Europe (70 pages). This later edition deletes the poems and the letters, and adds two new chapters (pages 115-24) plus a lengthy Part II (pages 141-216). The latter section brings the story up to date and includes obituaries to her father, whose name is now disclosed.
Octavo, six volumes; papered boards; a few slight bumps; first volume lightly rubbed on the rear cover; spines very slightly sunned; publisher's barcode label on the rear cover of each volume; an excellent set.
Signed by the editor on the title page of the first volume. This set, in the publisher's 'Making of Sociology' series, contains facsimile editions of four ground-breaking works, whose authors were determined to improve the health of society.
The small amount of text on the print is worth quoting in full: 'The 1976 vintage Grange Hermitage is a landmark for Penfolds and the Australian wine industry. It represents the 25th consecutive release of a wine acclaimed as one of the world's finest. This recognition is a result of the dedication and foresight of Max Schubert in producing a style unique amongst the world's great wines'. The label in the centre of this print is signed heavily by Max Schubert himself. The print has been exposed to light and the image has faded a little; unfortunately, the ink used to sign the print has almost completely disappeared, leaving only the (clearly visible) impression. Last year we sold a fine unfaded example from the same wine trade source (and no, there aren't any more copies!) for $450. We have marked this one down more than accordingly ....
Paris, Librairie Agricole de la Maison Rustique, [circa 1900].
Duodecimo (185 x 120 mm), xii, 288 pages with dozens of in-text illustrations plus 12 chromolithographic plates.
Wrappers browned and slightly chipped, marked and creased; on page 135 a small section of text has failed to print, and another small area is smudged (a scrap of paper had been caught between the type and the sheet in the press); occasional chips to... Read complete entry
A comprehensive treatment of the various pests and diseases affecting grape vines, with detailed descriptions of their remedies.